In this post we tell you all the advantages of taking hydrolized collagen powder for your health.
Collagen is the most fashionable molecule, alongside hyaluronic acid. We hear it at all times, everywhere.
Its fame comes from its versatility and uses. Collagen is a protein present in bones, muscles, joints and skin. Its function is to provide elasticity and resistance.
The cartilages are formed in a large proportion by water (70%), type II collagen, proteoglycans and chondrocytes.
If you know someone over 75 y.o. whose joints do not hurt, you’re in luck. It is estimated that more than 75% of this population has some type of joint pain, such as osteoarthritis. The knees are the part of the body that takes the worst part. Not only by the state of the joints, more or less worn, also by the bodyweight they have to endure. Unfortunately, as we get older, they tend to shiver, instead of shriveling. Losing weight helps to reduce the pain, but…
…Regardless of the body weight, the cartilages of the joints wear out over time due to a process of degenerative origin. Cartilages are the pads that are between the ends of the bones, to avoid direct contact between them. Deterioration of these pads can cause pain and limit body movements.
To maintain an active and full of movement life, joints must be able to follow our rhythm.
Collagen travel companions
Not only collagen live in the joints. Collagen-based food supplements are often accompanied by other equally important ingredients that improve joint health. The most prominent are hyaluronic acid, antioxidants such as zinc or vitamin C or natural anti-inflammatories, such as turmeric or harpagophytum.
- Vitamin C. The antioxidant per excellence. It not only fights the oxidative stress produced by free radicals, responsible for cell aging- it converts pre-collagen (inactive) into collagen. Therefore, it is said that it enhances the production of collagen.
- Turmeric. Turmeric is a most versatile Southeast Asian spice. It is used as a condiment in food, as a dye in the textile industry and has numerous therapeutic uses. The active ingredients of turmeric, curcumin and curcuminoids have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial action. Tumreric is part of the cartilage matrix, stimulating the synthesis of chondrocytes. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-inflammatory activity.
- Harpagophytum is a medicinal plant that comes from Africa and has been used traditionally in the treatment of joint pains, as an analgesic and natural anti-inflammatory.
- Did you know that after oxygen, silicon is the most abundant component of the face of the earth? Its property as a semiconductor material is essential for the industry. In recent years they are investigating, with good results, their uses in food supplements against hair loss, strengthening of the nails and joint health.
- Selenium and zinc. These antioxidants defend the cells from free radicals that want to attack them.
- Chondroitin sulfate. We can find it together with proteoglycan forming part of the cartilage. It has anti-inflammatory activity and stimulates the endogenous synthesis of hyaluronic acid and proteoglycans. It also inhibits the enzymes activity that destroys cartilage such as collagenase and lipase.
Not all collagens are the same. Collagen is a very large molecule that if it is not well formulated, it has a hard time dissolving in water and forming lumps. Unless you are a supporter lumps, they are usually not very pleasant when drinking. One of the things that must be taken into account to comply with the treatment is the good dissolution of the product. If in the morning, in the rush to go to work you have to wait and fight with the collagen to dissolve, you might end up not taking it properly.